Tuesday 1 November 2011

Happy Halloween!





Here where I live, celebrating Halloween is pretty new, and I’m too old for the Trick-or-Treat thing. Anyway, I love Halloween; it’s so much fun, back in Edinburgh I went to a  party dressed as a witch after seeing a parade of green and blue fairies and elves. It’s my favourite party after Christmas.

Unlike me, my sister hates it. She says it’s not our tradition and therefore we should not acknowledge and stick to our own tradition for this day, which I'm not very sure what it is about. I know it involves going to the cemetery and cleaning up the family tombs. Yes, that sounds like fun.

So, just after this argument with her, I went out and bought her a Halloween lollipop. That was as a prank, but you have to admit, it was a rather nice one. She couldn’t say anything other than thanks, and I think she’s keeping the lollipop.
What do you think about Halloween? I know it’s not really a part of our culture, but is that so important? 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you!! I think we can (obviously) celebrate Halloween and have fun with this festivity (even though) it is not from our cultural background. In my opinion, what is it better than 'assimilation'? If we like Halloween, we should celebrate it(my flat is still decorated lol)and we maybe start learning some things about Halloween: Jack O' Lantern legend, or the fore-fathers of Salem, and why not? Nathaniel Hawthorne's fore-father!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you! I think that it doesn´t really matter if it does not belong to the culture of this country, what it matters is that it is a celebration where everyone has lot of fun!!! I don´t understand people when they say that Halloween shouldn´t be celebrated here, because we do celebrate other important festivities of other countries like St. Patrick´s Day, and everyone loves it.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I'd love to have seen your flat all decorated, Luis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah!!! i'm looking forward to receive more visits soon =)

    ReplyDelete