Sunday 2 October 2011

Intro.

This blog's been created solely because my English Literature professor is very fond of the use of the "new tecnologies" (they have over twenty years now!) applied to our subject. But, who knows, maybe I'll like it and continue writing the blog. I'll try not to write too much about myself, only about those subjects I love and care, like music, Tv series and movies, lists and, yes, literature.

This year we're going to study the Restoration and the XVIII century in English Literature. When the professor announced that, I asked 'It's that gonna be all?'. Well, yes, that's gonna be all, enough for a year. She basically said that, and she's right, I actually didn't want more, I wanted another thing. This is because I think the Restoration (1660-1700) and the XVIII century are the most boring periods of the English literature: I'd rather read some old Alglo-saxon epic in the original language (at least it sound funny read aloud, try it).

This can be because this past year (I was in another university) I had to study the Augustean age: Humphrey Clinker (I couldn't read more than a half, it was sooooo boring!, worse, filled with unfunny jokes), A Sentimental Journey (I liked that one a bit, I even wanted to read more by the same author, but didn't have time), and finally ... The Rape of the Lock (go on, try it. And remember, this is supposed to be funny too). I know, Gulliver's Travels is from the same period, but past the first two famous chapters is surprisingly mean and twisted, and full of values dissonance. It's definitely not a children book (admittedly, I read when I was eleven). As for Robinson Crusoe, I liked Friday, but I found it again slow and boring, till Friday appears and, dammit, the real story on which is based is so much more entertaining! And, as for the Restoration period, I haven't read a single thing from that period, but I'd never heard about Aphra Benh, nor the other playwrights, until I started college. That doesn't necessarilly mean they're not interesting, but it's a bad signal. And the language is difficult, and probably many of the jokes are lost in time. Also, it's theatre, it's better if you see it represented, but I doubt I will find one of them represented any time soon. They probably add a lot of slap-stick (visual comedy) now.

I always  tend to assume the worse (nothing personal, just in case), so the last paragraph is only my own biased opinions. I'm at least going to enjoy Tristan Shandy, and we have two movies in perspective, so yay! It's still my favourite subject, it's kinda like travelling in time through the books, and the music and the pictures, and many cool things were going on then (the novel was invented, women started to be smart, a new dynasty that included a mad king was established, tea was introduced ... yes, the XVIII century was a riot. And the Romantic period seems extreme!). Maybe I'll change my mind. I'm actually kind of excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment